Materials and Industrial Equipment
“Materials” form the inflection points and physical foundations of the human civilization. Periods of human civilization has been named after the most common material of the period (Paleolithic, Neolithic, Bronze, Iron and Silicon period), which indicates the significant effect of the materials and related techniques in the development of human society. Today, “materials, energy and information” are the three mainstays in modern societies.
Figure: The three mainstays of modern societies
The industry of “advanced materials” was emerged in the early 1980s as one of the most important and dynamic topics of the history of the international industry. These materials are the new generations of metals, ceramics, polymers and composites that due to their novel and different internal structures have new and unique chemical and physical properties compared to the conventional materials. The improved and unique properties of this class of materials have equipped them with outstanding and distinctive functions.
Therefore, during the years after emergence of the first generation of this type of materials, their special place has been improved with a fast and impressive growth in all the main fields of technology and various industries, providing huge technical and economic advantages for producers and consumers.
“Advanced materials technologies” refers to all the processes and advanced equipment involved in designing, producing, processing, applying, fabricating, characterizing, diagnosing, recycling, and etc. materials
The great dependence of other areas of technology (such as aerospace, renewable energy, advanced equipment of manufacturing, production, laboratory, etc.) on using advanced materials technologies and products and their direct and indirect technical and economic impacts on these areas cannot be denied; hence, the explicit footprint of the advanced materials technologies and products can be seen in a wide range of industries.
The capacities and advantages of the country for development of materials include:
- Large potential domestic market for products based on advanced materials;
- Specialists and high-quality human capital in the different fields of materials engineering;
- Academic and research centers, and semi-industrial production in this area;
- Plenty of natural resources in the country;
- Possibility of completing the value-added chain of materials, and changing the approach from selling raw materials (minerals and oil) to selling valuable advanced materials.
- Capacity for gaining a proper share of the global market of advanced materials and economic boom through advanced materials exports regarding the rising global demands;
- Ability to produce advanced materials in SMEs with an average investment;
-About 25 active scientific associations in various fields of science and engineering directly or indirectly related to advanced materials.
Some of the achievements in advanced materials are:
-Helping to knowledge and technology transfer for implementing industrial and technological projects;
-Providing support for knowledge-based firms to eliminate problems and obstacles in materials industry and advanced manufacturing, etc.;
-Conducting research and promotional projects to enhance the status of advanced materials technologies in the country (monitoring technology trends and advances, technology future studies, supporting specialized seminars, etc.);
- Creating effective communication between various actors in this area.